London to Hong Kong Overland (mostly)

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Lenin

Yup, I saw him.

It was really cool, and somewhat creepy as you can imagine. He's buried inside a mosoleum, and his body is underground in a dark room of marble. He looks pretty waxy, and has one fist clenched and the other open. It's definitely one of the more macabre sites out there. Next stop on the Embalmed Leader Tour is Chairman Mao in Beijing!

Since I'm more of a Stalin kinda guy myself, I was sure to see where he was buried behind Lenin's crypt which was also neat.

Other than seeing The Great Leader today, I spent some time in Sculpture Park which is a park (obviously) where they put all the old soviet statues after they were ripped off their pedestals by anti-soviet protestors in 1991. It's the weirdest and best dump I've ever been to.

After the sculpture park I decided to take a look at few of the more notable metro stops. If I thought the metro in St Petersburg was impressive, I was absolutely blown away by the Moscow metro. Some of the bigger stops will have no less than 2 dozen mosaics each about 5 ft squared. Of course the themes are usually (i mean, exclusively) along the lines of "look how great communism is!". Aside of mosaics and paintins, they have a lot of bronze statues and marble walls (some are entirely marble). I took some pictures, even though you're not allowed. This place is truly mind-boggling.

Tomorrow we board an afternoon train to Yekaterinburg (Catherine the Great - burg). I'll be on there for 2 days, so you won't be hearing from me. Wish me luck.

"Those who vote control nothing. Those who count the votes control everything." - Stalin

-Andrew

1 Comments:

  • If anyone is interested, there is a website that hosts a collection of pictures of the Moscow underground.

    http://www.rense.com/general72/mag.htm


    "Since I'm more of a Stalin kinda guy myself..." What does that even mean??

    Good luck with that whole "asia" thing.

    Sam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home