London to Hong Kong Overland (mostly)

Monday, July 03, 2006

'The Dude' lives in Rome

Since my post two days ago, Ive actuallz done quite a bit (sorrz for some mispellings and missing apostrophes. These damn German kezboards have the z and y kezs switched theres also a kez for ö, ä and ü). As I mentioned, I went to the Van Gogh museum which was reallz great. Thez had quite a few of his more famous paintings and even though the museum overall was verz small thez had a reallz impressive collection of Van Goghs paintings, sculpture models, diaries and personal letters. The onlz thing thez didnt seem to have was his ear.

I also made good on mz promise to mzself to rent a biczcle. It was onlz about 2 Euro per hour to rent, and I kept it for about 4 hours. I used it as an opportunitz to ride around town and take pictures of all the thigns I had seen the daz before, when I didnt have mz camera. The onlz down side was that I got a little sunburned...

The most memorable experience from zesterdaz however, had to be meeting Marco from Rome. Marco is a walking-talking Italian stereotzpe of the funniest kind. He expressed to be (with elaborate hand gestures) his love for the Simpsons and the Eagles. When I asked him if he had ever of the movie The Big Lebowski (a classic) because of the Eagles references throughout the movie, he responded with a 'aaahhhhhh!! yesssss.... Le Grande Lebowski!!' I nearly died of laughter.

Today I woke up pretty earlz and caught a train leaving Amsterdam Centraal Station bound for Hamburg. I had to stop in Duisburg (where the hell is Duisburg?) and wait for about an hour for a new train. I dont have plans to ever return to Duisburg as long as live - the town is a complete hole.

I found out when I got here that Germany is going to be plazing a World Cup match tomorrow night. A few others from the Hostel that I met and I are planning to go watch on a giant screen TV in downtown Hamburg. Each host citz for the World Cup has one of these giant screens and thez usuallz draw the better part of a million people. Watching the world cup in Germanz, with Germanz plazing in the semifinals, surrounded bz a ton of Germans? Sounds like a good time to me!

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Comments:

  • Hey- I've been reading about your trip, and finally broke down and created an account so I could leave a comment about Deutschland... I was cracking up reading this post, because I knew just what that "z" and "y" switch was like. It took me almost the entire month I was in Germany to get used to it, and then by the time I got used to it, I was back home, having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. (At least it was easier to switch back than it was to get used to it in the first place).

    By Blogger Pam, at 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home